- would students think the 'also borrowed' link were formal recommendation?
- would sudden changes confuse users?
The solutions were to:
- encourage suggestions from staff
- include users in decision-making
- encourage play & experimentation
- don't be afraid of mistakes
- look around for ideas
- build crappy prototypes fast
- monitor usage - if poor then remove it.
He then demonstrated some ideas in visualisation and some of the 'next generation' discovery tools out there (see the LibraryShed for details)
Daves shopping list of Library 2.0 features included
- spell checking
- relevancy ranking
- recommendations (manual and automatically generated)
- improved serendipity
- user participation
In general it rakes 2 years to library acceptance, results from his survey indicate that the US is some way ahead of the UK
Dave's full presentaion on slideshare